Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) invites all qualified candidates to apply for the following position. SCA actively promotes and encourages Women and People with Disabilities to apply
Title of Position:
Senior Advocacy Officer
Taloqan Regional Management Office (TRMO)
Number of Positions:
The position is Open-Ended
Salary and benefits are according to internal SCA salary policy
Non-monetary Benefits for Females:
Transportation close to residence and work, child nursery at workplace, safe travel facilities and companion to field trips, female association membership, trainings and capacity building
The Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been working in Afghanistan since 1982, presently managing development programmes concerning Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods and Community Governance, with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is around 5,500. During the last 10 years SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development. SCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment based on their skills, abilities and experience without regard to age (18-65 years), ethnicity, religion, marital status, gender, or physical disability.
Scope of work:
Under the guidance of the CDMU Coordinator. The Advocacy Senior Officer is responsible to analyse and guide Swedish Committee for Afghanistan’s (SCA) advocacy campaigns, and work aiming at SCA’s advocacy development in Afghanistan in close collaboration with SCA’s Programme Units. S/he is specifically responsible for establishing advocacy tools to strengthen the capacity of SCA’s staff and its partners’ organizations to undertake advocacy work by themselves. S/he assists the Advocacy Unit to gather and analyse information needed for advocacy work in Afghanistan as well as Sweden/Europe. S/he will participate in networks of like-minded actors as a basis for advocacy work carried out in Afghanistan.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- University degree, or equivalent, in relevant professional field. Preferably in Political Sciences, Development Studies, Communications, Social Sciences or International Relations
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience within NGO, UN agency, embassies or research institution.
- Computer skill at operator level, especially with MS Office packages.
- Fluency in English and Dari and/or Pashto, both written and spoken.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Supervisory, team worker, analytical, and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience from facilitation of trainings and coach partner organizations an asset.
- Experience of planning, reporting and budgeting.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the project sites within Afghanistan and adjust to SCA environment.
- Honest, proactive and well mannered.
- Practical advocacy work experience with civil society organizations.
- Experience of capacity development for advocacy within an NGO/CSO or similar context.
- Understanding of strategy, policy and methods to strengthen emerging civil society actors in their advocacy work.
- Develop advocacy tools and lead advocacy campaigns in Afghanistan.
- Skills in communications and a good command of English.
- Familiarity working with diverse cultures.
- Being an Afghan citizen.
- Work with local communities and empower them to better analyze and prioritize their needs and do power analysis for advocacy purposes;
- Encourage civic activism through conducting civic education session and facilitating civic engagement dialogues;
- Facilitate linkage between target groups (rights holder) and local governments (duty bearers);
- Organize and facilitate district and provincial level advocacy dialogues sessions between representative of target communities, local government officials and key influencers including religious leaders.
- Follow up on advocacy issues pledged by government officials in dialogue sessions;
- Establish provincial advocacy committee comprised of SCA partners and non-partner CSOs;
- Establish and maintain contacts with all project and advocacy stakeholders at the community, district and provincial level;
- Support KMO advocacy team in conducting community researches, prepare and provide data to KMO advocacy team in Kabul when needed for producing policy briefings papers;
- Build advocacy capacity of SCA regional team and work with the regional team to integrate advocacy in development projects.
- Plan and implement all advocacy related activities at the regional center and related provinces;
- Regularly coordinate with KMO advocacy;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Coordinator.
- SCA actively promote and encourages women and persons with disabilities to apply.
- Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV (maximum four pages) with a cover letter in a single word/pdf document file explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience.
- To apply online please send your application / CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject line must include (Senior Advocacy Officer – HRM/TRMO 28-18) otherwise your application may not be considered.
- Candidates may also submit applications by letter (hard copy) directly to the SCA HRM Unit in either Kabul, Ghazni, Kunduz, Wardak, Taloqan, Mazar-e-Sharif, Laghman or Jalalabad;
- Academic certificates or references need not to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for interview.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test/interview.