Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) invites all qualified candidates to apply for the following position. SCA actively promotes and encourages Women and People with Disabilities to apply
Title of Position:
Assistant Site Engineer
Number of Positions:
One (Male / Female)
Project Field Staff Category One
Salary and benefits are according to internal SCA salary policy
Non-monetary Benefits for Females:
Transportation close to residence and work, child nursery at workplace, safe travel facilities and companion to field trips, female association membership, trainings and capacity building
The Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been working in Afghanistan since 1982, presently managing development programmes concerning Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods and Community Governance, with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is around 5,500. During the last 10 years SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development. SCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment based on their skills, abilities and experience without regard to age (18-65 years), ethnicity, religion, marital status, gender, or physical disability.
Scope of work:
The assistant site engineer is under direct supervision of the rural development senior officer, he will help technically to carry out the infrastructure projects for assessment, estimation of construction material and construction activities and implementation of construction project, and he will stay in the project site.
To assist site engineer in timely completion and the daily site management of the various engineering projects and must be available in the project site during the working days (Saturday to Thursday).
The assistant site Engineer reports to site engineer and to rural development senior officer or field engineer at the Provincial level.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor degree from civil engineering or relevant faculty of a well-known University.
- Documented experience in community development projects.
- Bachelor degree from civil engineering or relevant faculty of a well-known University or have (8 – 10) working experience in relevant field.
- Documented experience in community development projects.
- At least two years’ experience of working as an engineer/ assistant engineer or Forman in a well-known organization.
- Experience in implementation of engineering projects or WASH activities in the field.
- Fluency in Dari and Pashto, written and spoken.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skill.
- Honest, active and well mannered.
- Ready to work, live and travel in an intricate and strenuous environment.
- To be familiar with the cultural, socio-economic and political environment of Nangarhar, Kunar and Laghman provinces.
- Being an Afghan citizen.
- Be ready for any changing and transferring of duty station.
- Ability to work under pressure at project site.
- Overall responsible to assist site engineer for technical survey, estimation, implementation, quality control and quality assurance of infrastructural projects.
- Ensure overall procedures during the project implementation are applied as per Rural Development Programme (RDP) engineering manual and donor requires.
- Read, understand and apply the RDP technical manual.
- To establish a good communication between different councils, representative from PED and PRRD, and other governmental agencies, NGOs and contractors working more or less involved in the RDP and local governance activities.
- Ensure the selected land for construction is suitable for project implementation.
- Ensure the project will not affect negatively environment and assure social and environmental safeguard in the implementation of the project.
- Assist site engineer to prepare and provide project progress report to the immediate supervisor in timely manner.
- Ensure projects are technically sound and the progress is made as per the scheduled timeframe in accordance to the technical proposal.
- Assist project technical staff to have proper project expenditure documents.
- Assist guide and participate in community participatory monitoring and accountability events at the project level and prepare relevant reports accordingly.
- To watch over fulfilment of tasks given to skilled and unskilled labours to expedite construction work.
- To properly allocate skilled and unskilled labours according to plan for the task to be completed.
- To guide people under his responsibility about the way to fulfil their assignment.
- Ensure quality of work and especially construction materials brought in to the project field.
- To verify presence on the work site of all personal under him and report to the immediate supervisor.
- Any other relevant task required.
- SCA actively promote and encourages women and persons with disabilities to apply.
- Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV (maximum four pages) with a cover letter in a single word/pdf document file explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience.
- To apply online please send your application / CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject line must include (Assistant Site Engineer – HRM/JRMO 5-19) otherwise your application may not be considered.
- Candidates may also submit applications by letter (hard copy) directly to the SCA HRM Unit in either Kabul, Ghazni, Kunduz, Wardak, Taloqan, Mazar-e-Sharif, Laghman or Jalalabad;
- Academic certificates or references need not to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for interview.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test/interview.