ToR for designing of Hemmat staff magazine
Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been present in Afghanistan since 1980s. With over 5000 Afghan employees, and presence in 14 provinces, it is one of the largest organizations in the country. SCA is presently implementing development programmes on education, health, rehabilitation of persons with disabilities, and contributes to economic development in rural areas. SCA is facilitating Citizens Charter National Priority Programme in three provinces of Afghanistan and is also addressing humanitarian and reintegration needs of returnees.
The vision of the Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) is an Afghanistan free from poverty, violence and discrimination, where human rights are respected and all live in dignity, enjoy equal opportunity and social justice.
The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities and local organisations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as persons with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development. SCA will achieve this by working closely with communities, local and national civil society organisations and relevant levels of government and by combining capacity development, advocacy and service provision.
The SCA strategic plan 2018 – 2021 presents the following Strategic Objectives:
1. The health and nutrition conditions of SCA target groups are improved 2. All children in targeted communities have improved learning achievements 3. SCA target groups are more engaged in community-driven development and are able to secure their means of living, providing them with resilience against shocks and emergencies 4. Strengthened public and political commitment for the rights of the people in Afghanistan. 5. SCA is a more credible and sustainable organisation, working together towards achieving its mission
2. Background Information and Rationale
Improvement of internal communication at Swedish Committee for Afghanistan is one of the strategic priorities during the strategic period 2018 – 2021. COMA, Communication Unit for Afghanistan, produces a staff magazine called “Hemmat” thrice a year. The magazine is a prime source of information delivery to the SCA’s internal staff. The magazine is divided into multiple sections and consists 24 pages (including cover) and 90% percent of the content within the magazine is in Dari and Pashto languages. COMA considers the importance of quality design for the magazine which could reflect SCA’s brand and visual identity.
Improving the staff’ access to information channels is an indicator of the Output 5.1.3 in the Strategic Plan 2018-2021. The output is “SCA internal communication is strengthened” and the indicator 513.1 is “Proportion of staff having access to information channels”.
To achieve this goal, COMA requires to hire an Afghan National as a graphic design consultant for a duration of 6 months for two times design of Hemmat magazine, and each design completion will take at least 12 working days.
3. Objectives of the Assignment
Designing of Hemmat magazine for the second and third issues during the year 2019. Bringing improvement with the existing design and content.
4. Scope of the Assignment
The Consultant will work as part of the Communication Unit under the supervision of the Communication Manager. S/he will be responsible for the overall design of Hemmat magazine at SCA office. The Consultant will work together with the Editor of the Hemmat magazine. This is a framework contract for a period of 6 months and the consultant is needed for a full-time job of at least 12 working days for design of each issue of the Hemmat magazine. The design for second issue will commence at end of July/start of August 2019 and for third issue, end of November/start of December 2019.
Management of Task
The task of this consultant would be:
Conceptualize and designing of the magazine
Planning concepts by studying relevant information and materials.
Illustrating concepts by designing examples of art arrangement, size, type size and style and submitting them for approval.
Complying the design with SCA’s visual identity.
Contributing to team efforts by accomplishing tasks as needed.
Obtains approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval.
▪ High school graduate or bachelor’s degree in relevant field. ▪ Certification in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Corel Draw. ▪ Expertise, skills, and prior experience in designing. ▪ Experience of undertaking similar assessments for UN or international NGOs. ▪ The Consultants should be objective, have the ability to operate systematically with less supervision, and should be result-oriented and committed to timelines. ▪ The Consultants should be proficient in written and spoken English, and preferably a good knowledge of spoken Dari and/or Pashto.
5. Proposal Submissions
Please put forward following documents and email to:
Please subject your email as Graphic Design Consultant 2019. Following documents are required to be submitted while applying, otherwise, your application will not be considered:
• A technical proposal of minimum of 2 full pages.
• A financial proposal for the assignment.
• A CV (detailing the qualifications and experience relevant to the assignment)
For further questions and queries in this regard, please send email to email@example.com