Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) invites all qualified candidates to apply for the following position. SCA actively promotes and encourages Women and People with Disabilities to apply
Title of Position:
Senior Gender Officer
Kabul Management Office (KMO)
Number of Positions:
The position is open ended
Salary and benefits are according to SCA salary policy
Non-monetary Benefits for Females:
Transportation close to residence and work, child nursery at workplace, safe travel facilities and companion to field trips, female association membership, trainings and capacity building
The Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been working in Afghanistan since 1982, presently managing development programmes concerning Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods and Community Governance, with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is around 5,500. During the last 10 years SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development. SCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment based on their skills, abilities and experience without regard to age (18-65 years), ethnicity, religion, marital status, gender, or physical disability.
Scope of work:
By adhering RBA in programme cycle management for gender equality and rights based approach, SCA endorses equal access, non-discrimination, participation, transparency, accountability and the framing of planning programming within realms of international rights conventions. The Human Rights and Gender Unit (HRGU) mandate is to promote and implement gender mainstreaming and rights based approach throughout all SCA programmes including its operational environment. HRGU key task and responsibilities are capacity development of rights holders and duty ¾arers, training and competence development of SCA staff on gender, rights and RBA, conducting gender and rights related research and studies, creating structures, systems, tools and methods to incorporate gender concerns at the organizational and programmatic levels, leading men and boys engagement projects, leading national masculinity alliance, gender working groups, as well as perform functions related to oversight and backstopping). In addition to that, HRGU is responsible to lead, supervise and monitor the HRG senior officers in all five RMOs. This includes providing them technical support, trainings, orientations, coaching and mentoring, guidance and follow up of their annual action/budget plans.
The Senior Gender Officer will be duty stationed in SCA Kabul Management Office (KMO) to look after the bellow key areas,
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Women’s Rights and empowerment
- Men and Boys Engagement in the process of gender equality
S/he will report to the Human Rights and Gender Manager in KMO and closely collaborate with CDMU teams at Regional Management Office (RMOs) to achieve the organizational objectives of rights based programming and gender equality.
Qualification and Work Experience:
- Bachelor or master in gender studies, law and or human rights
- At least four years related work experience within a civil society and development organisation
- Experiences in training on and Gender Mainstreaming, Human Rights and RBA
- Demonstrated Training Skills, including manual development and report writing
- Demonstrated, team-building capabilities, organizational, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to take initiatives, be innovative and pursue work proactively with little supervision
- Ability to supervise and coach senior training officers and staff at different levels within the organization.
- Sound knowledge of administration, planning & budgeting and report writing for training purpose
- Good monitoring and analytical skills and ability to assess, analyse and synthesize information
- Ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Good command of written and spoken English, Dari and/or Pashto
- Advanced user-knowledge in computer
- Ability to carry out ad hoc translations from English to Dari or Pashto, and vice versa
- Ability to develop action-learning case studies for good practice
- Ability to travel frequently to the field
- Computer skill at operator level, especially with MS Office packages.
- Fluency in English, Pashto and or/ Dari, both written and spoken.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Self-motivated, team worker and troubleshooting skills
- Women are highly encouraged to apply.
- Method development: In coordination with programme units, identify and develop contextualized tool-kits and training material on Gender , Gender Mainstreaming, Masculinities, Human Rights, Child Rights, Women Rights adoptable for SCA programmes, develop programme specific gender guidelines for SCA f as well as relevant partners
- Capacity Development: Identify, design, plan, implement and monitor Gender and rights related trainings and workshops, Also conduct awareness sessions on SCA Policy and Strategic Plan for SCA staff at KMO and in the field
- Networking and advocacy: Develop SCA linkages to gender related networks within civil society and international development organizations at provincial and national level, coordinate National Masculinity Alliance (NMA) activities and meetings, coordinate Gender Working Group meetings and activities
- Operational Issues: develop event based, monthly, half-yearly and year action and budget plan, develop monthly and yearly activity, and result based reports.
- Field Visit: organize filed visits to regional management offices and provide backstopping support to HRGU team in the field. Support in conduction of researches and studies, monitor implementation gender policy, RBA integration plan and gender checklist by programmes at KMO and Regional Management Offices (RMOs).
- Other relevant tasks: As delegated by the HRG Manager within the HRG scope of work
- Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV with a cover letter explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience;
- To apply online please send your application / CV to email@example.com
- Subject Line Must be: Senior Gender Officer, HRM/KMO 03-19, Otherwise, your application May not be Considered.
- Candidates may also submit applications by letter (hard copy) directly to the SCA HRM Unit in either Kabul, Ghazni, Kunduz, Wardak, Taloqan, Mazar-e-Sharif, Laghman or Jalalabad;
- Academic certificates or references need not to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for interview.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and interview.